Visiting Scholar Program
The Center for Research in Language (CRL) offers an excellent opportunity for visiting scholars to take advantage of the research facilities available at UC San Diego. Through the Visiting Scholar Program, researchers are able to participate in CRL activities that coincide with their own interests and qualifications.
Since 1990, CRL has hosted 112 visiting scholars, from 19 countries, averaging 18 visitors per year, at every level from advanced undergraduate through professor emeritus, for stays ranging from a few days to several years. Depending on their interests and expertise, some visitors have carried out independent research projects related to CRL research, and/or participated in ongoing research projects under CRL including the International Aphasia Project, the Project in Cognitive and Neural Development, and the Language, Communication, and the Brain Training Program.
To participate in the program, potential Visiting Scholars must identify a CRL faculty member who will serve as the Visiting Scholar's host during the period of stay, and who will work closely with the Visiting Scholar to plan activities during the visit. Applicants should contact potential host before applying and obtain their consent before applying. (A list of CRL faculty can be found at http://crl.ucsd.edu/people)
REQUESTED DOCUMENTS FOR APPROVAL
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter describing scholar's background and research interests
- A letter of recommendation/support from the CRL faculty member who will serve as host
- Any relevant papers or publications related to language processing, language development, language and brain, or any other aspect of linguistics
If you are interested in participating in the Visiting Scholar program, please mail the above documents to:
Center for Research in Language
University of California, San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, Dept. 0526
La Jolla, CA 92093-0526
It is important to note that all visitors must provide their own funding for travel, housing, transportation, and living expenses during their stay. CRL will, however, provide assistance in making these arrangements.
Upon arriving at UC San Diego and contacting the Center for Research In Language, the visitor will receive a Visiting Scholar title which includes:
- Access to campus facilities
- Shared office space
- Access to all CRL laboratory and computer facilities
- An e-mail account
- The opportunity to attend courses, laboratory meetings, colloquia, seminars, workshops, and informal talks held regularly in CRL, Department of Cognitive Science, and other departments (including Linguistics, Psychology, Neurosciences, Computer Science and Human Development)
- Assistance in locating nearby housing and transportation
- Assistance in obtaining necessary UCSD documents, such as an identification card, parking permit, etc.
Please use our contact form to direct all questions, concerns, and comments.
For detailed information regarding the Visiting Scholar program at UC San Diego, please refer to the following website created by the International Center: